Lot’s of great Collected Edition news and announcements have come out of the 2012 Comic Con International from sunny San Diego. There’s no doubt that Jim Henson’s Tale of Sand, adapted by Ramón K. Pérez (Archaia), was the surprise coming out of the Eisner Awards and the Scott Pilgrim Volume 1 Color AND Evil Editions (Boom Studios) were the talk of the Con floor.
I didn’t pick up any news from Marvel, Dark Horse or Image, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t announce anything. All three promoted several comic books or other media projects which should translate into reprint books. For example I wouldn’t be surprised to see some sort of Ant-Man Omnibus (Marvel), the 6th Hellboy Library Edition (Dark Horse) or new packaging of Invincible (Image). You if know of anything, please pass it along to me. I’d really appreciate it.
Here’s the run down so far, more will be spilling out in the coming days and I’ll be going over everything in my next CCL Podcast later this week.
- Jeff Smith’s Limited Edition (only 200 printed) signed and numbered RASL Book 4. This is the final volume of the RASL saga.
Crusade Fine Arts
- The Blackwater Chronicles by Billy Tucci, a new series of non-fiction illustrated books set for release during 2013 that detail the real-life adventures of the controversial private security company. The first book in the series is based on Robert Young Pelton’s “Licensed to Kill, Hired Guns in the War on Terror”.
- To celebrate MAD Magazine’s 60th anniversary: Totally MAD (Time Home Entertainment Inc.; $34.95) goes on sale on October 30, 2012 and will be available at retailers nationwide. Organized by decade, this oversized 256-page book features some of the world’s best comedy writers, cartoonists and humorous illustrators. Totally MAD features a special foreword by long-time MAD fans Stephen Colbert and Eric Drysdale, plus five exclusive essays about MAD’s cultural impact, the origin of Alfred E. Neuman and the magazine’s history, including its landmark Supreme Court win against Irving Berlin, establishing the right to publish satirical lyrics. As a bonus, the book features a removable set of 12 classic front covers, dubbed “The Soul of MAD” by MAD Founder and Publisher William M. Gaines. Each print was selected for its uniqueness, artistic achievement and classic timelessness, and is suitable for framing or wrapping fish.
Drawn & Quarterly
- Acquired world rights to Ant Colony by Doug Wright Award-winning cartoonist Michael DeForge. Ant Colony will be distributed in the U.S. by Farrar, Straus & Giroux and in Canada by Raincoast Books. International rights are represented by Samantha Haywood of the Transatlantic Literary Agency.
- Acquired North American and UK rights to CO-MIX: A Retrospective of Comics, Graphics, and Scraps, by legendary, Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonist Art Spiegelman. To be released in Spring 2013, this expanded English version of the Flammarion bilingual edition will feature full-page reproductions of Spiegelman’s artwork, comics, and preliminary sketches.
- The Art of Painted Comics hardcover in October, featuring painted comic book work by Alex Ross, Greg Hildebrandt, Frank Frazetta, Joe Jusko, Michael William Kaluta, Bill Sienkiewicz, Neal Adams, Julie Bell, Joseph Michael Linsner, Glen Orbik, Simon Bisley, Dave Dorman, Phil Noto, Greg Horn, Brian Bolland, Ashley Wood, Charles Vess, Mark Teixeira, Arthur Suydam, Dave McKean, and more. 300 pages worth, and overseen by Alex Ross.
- The million-selling Lord of the Rings calendars created during the ’70s by renowned fantasy artists Greg and Tim Hildebrandt are now considered artistic masterpieces. This coffee table art book, “The Tolkien Years of the Brothers Hildebrandt”, collects all that fantastic art, while telling the untold story behind the creation of those cherished illustrations, written by Greg Hildebrandt, Jr.
:01 First Second Books
- The Ren OGN from Joe Illidge, Shawn Martinbrough, is drawn by Grey Williamson.
- Famous Monsters of Filmland, is one of the most famous periodicals in the fan world. Hermes Press premier art book publisher, proudly announce their partnership at Comic-Con. Hermes Press will now create, design, market and sell an entire line of art books which highlight the history of Famous Monsters of Filmland.
Hachette Book Group graphic novel imprint Yen Press
- Plans to publish a graphic novel adaptation of Ransom Riggs’ bestselling novel, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, the book is scheduled to be published in 2013.
- IDW with 2000AD to reprint Al Ewing and Brendan McCarthy’s The Zaucer Of Zilk! #1 of 2 (32 pages, FC, $3.99) will be in stores October 2012.
- New Artist’s Edition announced: Gil Kane’s The Amazing Spider-Man is scheduled to be released in November of this year. Collecting issues 96 – 102 and 121 of The Amazing Spider-Man, this volume will be 216 pages and be priced at $125. Mad: Artist’s Edition will follow in December to coincide with Mad‘s 60th anniversary. Specifics concerning the book’s contents, page count, and price aren’t immediately available. Mark Schultz’s Xenozoic Tales is due out in June, 2013 and will be 144 pages though a price has yet to be announced. Also announced was a reprint of the Artist’s Edition that started it all, Dave Stevens’ The Rocketeer. If you missed out on owning this inaugural volume before, you can keep your eyes peeled for it early next year. Sporting a brand new cover, this is a title worth owning. Here is the cover art:
- Announced today that Mark Waid (Kingdom Come, Daredevil), Shane Davis (Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns, Superman: Earth One), and Max Brooks (The Zombie Survival Guide, G.I. Joe: Hearts & Minds) will join forces on Shadow Walk, an all-new graphic novel that is set to launch in 2013.
- Announced the company’s Comic-Con exclusives, including a free 35th Anniversary Sampler and the premieres of Stan Mack’s Taxes, The Tea Party, And Those Revolting Rebels: A History In Comics of the American Revolution and Rick Geary’s Treasury Of XXth Century Murder Lovers’ Lane: The Hall-Mills Mystery.
- Launching in print in April 2013, Double Fine Action Comics, by Scott C., kicks off with a new edition of the previously scarce debut volume as well as the new-to-print VOLUME 2. A third volume, collecting the remainder of the run is scheduled to hit shelves in the third quarter of 2013.
- A collection of R. Steven’s fan-favorite comic Diesel Sweeties.
- Designer and author Chip Kidd announced today that he’ll be designing a collection of works featuring Gengoroh Tagame to be published in Spring 2013 called The Passion Of Gengoroh Tagame: Bara Master.
- The 80-page graphic novel So Long, Silver Screen by the cartoonist Blutch. The cover design will be by the comics artist and cartoonist David Mazzucchelli. The graphic novel, which PictureBox says is the first full-length book to be published in North America from the influential and award-winning Blutch, will appear in Spring 2013.
- Renée French announced a limited edition book to be released by the publisher and first available in September at Small Press Expo. : To be called Bjornstrand, the book will run 24 pages and be 5 X 7 dimensions-wise. There will be only 300 made, with each one signed and numbered by the artist.
- Eddie Campbell announced that From Hell Companion from he and Alan Moore is ready to go and will be released in March 2013. It will include scripts and unreleased artwork.
- Expect new hardcover collections of classic material but in a slightly different format then the recent collections.
- Announced a Convention and mail-order exclusive limited edition of Deadlands Volume 1: Dead Man’s Hand, the trade collection of the original one-shots from Image Comics. The series is based on the popular roleplaying game from Pinnacle Entertainment. This edition is available ONLY through pre-order.