Ahhhh, Day 1 of Comic Con 2011! This is when the real announcements happen. Why? Everyone wants the buzz to flow through the weekend. Make no mistake, more cool news will be coming, but the first sampling is A+ ! Let’s recap:
- In Spring 2012, Vertigo will publish a Black Orchid Deluxe Edition from The New York Times Bestselling author Neil Gaiman (Sandman) and innovative artist Dave McKean. Currently out of print, this new Deluxe Edition hardcover will make a gorgeous addition to your Neil Gaiman collection. – Thanks to the Vertigo Blog
- Following on the heels of the Wally Wood Artist’s Edition we will get John Romita’a The Amazing Siper-Man Artist’s Edition, $100, hardcover, black and white, 144 pages, will be available in stores in 2012. – Thanks to Charlie, ComicList
- Along with the new Crow series, IDW will reprint the classic material from James O’Barr.
Legendary Entertainment/Legendary Comics
- You can now go see the very graphic trailer for Frank Miller’s Holy Terror and also go view the first 5 pages! Holy Terror is a 120 page hardcover graphic novel with spot-color interiors presented in a 10 x 13 landscape format. Distributed by Diamond Books, $29.99 and will be in stores in September.
- Available at the Con will be Aspen: The Heroic Years a brand new sketchbook celebrating the career and body of work of their founder and legendary artist Michael Turner. A follow-up to last year’s release of the Michael Turner sketchbook, this 2011 edition features artwork from Turner’s own titles Fathom and Soulfire, along with such Aspen favorites as Shrugged and Aspen Seasons. Plus, a very special section of Turner’s acclaimed DC work along with tons of never before seen layouts and sketches. – Thanks to CBR
- The Art of Daniel Clowes: Modern Cartoonist, a monograph to be released in the Spring of 2012. – Thanks to Tom, Comics Reporter
In Other News
- IDW and Archie will be sharing the KISS license on two upcoming projects. Sort of makes you want to go out and pick up that KISS Kompendium after all.
- IDW and DC are teaming up for a Star Trek/Legion Of Superheroes crossover that will have the Original Captain Kirk and Crew team up with the superteam during The Great Darkness Saga. The crossover tale, which is being written by the Eisner nominated author Chris Roberson (iZombie), will have interior art by Jeffrey and Phillip Moy, while Phil Jimenez will provide covers for all six issues with variants coming from Keith Giffen, Steve Lightie, Mike Grell, and Gabriel Rodriguez. Call me crazy, but I bet Star Trek/X-Men (Marvel 1996) will shoot up in price on eBay. – Thanks to iFanboy
Podcasting at SDCC
- The 6th Annual Comics Podcasting All-Stars is up and ready to listen to!!! Join the titans of comics media, the comics podcasters, for the 6th annual gathering at the San Diego Comic-Con. Get a front row seat to see some of your favorite comics podcasters discuss everything from the latest in comics industry news to behind-the-scenes stories. Podcasters appearing on the panel include Cameron Hatheway (Cammy’s Comic Corner), John Mayo (The Comic Book Page), Brian “Pants” Christman (Comic Geek Speak), Jimmy Aquino (Comics News Insider), Conor Kilpatrick (iFanboy), John Siuntres (Word Balloon), and Pat Loika (Loikamania!) – Thanks to John Mayo, Comic Book Page Podcast