- Barney Rosset, 89, American publisher (Grove Press) and free speech advocate – He didn’t have much of anything to do with comics, but Rosset’s stance on free speech was an inspiration to not only the beat writers, but also to the underground comix movement, like Evergreen Review
Announcements / PR
- Too Much Coffee Man: Cutie Island
- Pics of Goliath from Drawn & Quarterly
- Bill Everett Archives Volume 1 in comic stores this week
- Archaia presents wordless green novel I’m Not a Plastic Bag
- Download and read a 17-page PDF excerpt of The Complete Peanuts 1983-1984 (Vol. 17)
- 2011 NCS Cartoonist of the Year Nominees Announced
- The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America announce the nominees for the 2011 Nebula Awards (presented 2012)
- The Walking Dead Webisodes Receive WGA Award
- Nominees sought for Courage in Editorial Cartooning award
- Robert Ariail honored by SC Arts commission
- 2012 LA Times Book Prize Graphic Novels Category Finalists
- Bram Stoker Award Graphic Novel Nominees Announced
Interviews / Commentary
- Ian Hine of Dead Universe Comics on Pre-New 52 TP Sales via ICv2
- Howard Chaykin on The Shadow: Blood & Judgment
Law / Business
- Artist Sean Gordon Murphy on his “tussle” with Marvel ala Gary Friedrich – Thanks to Tom, Comics Reporter
- Ed West on the Marvel/Gary Friedrich Controversy
- Knockabout To Sell The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier In The UK
- ICv2 is reporting that the New 52 may be Hurting DC Graphic Novel Sales
- Free Comic Book Day 2012 updates and cancellations
- W.I.L.D.Cats Deluxe Edition and the DC/Marvel Omnibus have been cancelled – I’m not surprised by the latter book. The trades are pretty easy to find if you really want them.
- Rich Burlew has raised over $1.25 million for Order of the Stick – I linked to original story a few Fridays ago but now the Kickstarter program has closed. I find this truly amazing and inspiring. I can’t wait to see the finished product. Perhaps DC/Marvel should do a Kickstarter for that Omnibus above.
- Cover rough for the new edition of PULPHOPE (Legendary) – Book is due Christmas 2012, 12×12 LP format, 250 plus pages, Thanks to The Beat
- Diamond, Penguin Books Announce Doctor Who Distribution Deal
- DC is redesigning their site and with it a complete teardown of the Message Boards. I’m sad to see them go. For a long while I was an active participant of the DC Archives Board and I have many threads archived for my own reference. I encourage you to do the same.
- Frank Reade: Adventures in the Age of Invention (Abrams ComicArts)
- Chase (DC Comics)
- Hulk vs. X-Force Vol. 4 HC/TP (Marvel)
- Shazam! The Golden Age Of The World’s Mightiest Mortal (Abrams ComicsArts)
- Asterix Omnibus Volume 2 (Orion)
- More DC/Marvel Omnibus Comparison Videos – Thanks to Rich, Bleeding Cool
- Thunderbolts: Cage HC/TP (Marvel Comics)
- Batman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told TP (DC Comics)
…and at the end of the shelf:
- A simple, yet awesome pic by iFanboy’s Conor Kilpatrick comparing the John Romita Artist’s Edition to the Wally Wood Artist’s Edition: Size Does Matter!
Be sure to keep current with all the latest and best Comic Book Collected Edition news by subscribing to the Collected Comics Library’s RSS feed.