- Blaine aka Blaine MacDonald (July 7, 1937-February 5, 2012) – Canadian political cartoonist.
- Anthony Horton (1968-February 5, 2012), the New York City man whose story of living in tunnels beneath the city and unlikely friendship with a children’s book illustrator became the subject of the graphic novel Pitch Black. Thanks to Tom, Comics Reporter.
- Mike White, a veteran British industry comics artist, Roy Of The Rovers and 2000 AD. Thanks to Tom, Comics Reporter.
- Esfandiar Ahmadieh (1929-February 7, 2012), Iranian animator.
Announcements / PR
- Preview of Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron by Daniel Clowes (New Printing) (video)
- Unboxing John Romita Sr’s Amazing Spider-Man Artists Edition (video) – oohhh this is pretty!
- Dynamite Announces The Art of Ramona Fradon Hardcover
- DC Comics rush solicits Epic MAD TP – More MAD is always a good thing.
- Comic book and entertainment information website InvestComics is proud to announce that “One and Done” – a charitable anthology to benefit the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund – is now available for purchase on the Mira Publishing
- Myriad Editions have announced their upcoming publication of Darryl Cunningham’s Science Tales
- 39th Annual Annie Nominations & Winners – The Annies are the animation industries highest honor.
- Mike Manley’s Robin Hood Arrow of Justice, published by Airship 27 is nominated for the Pulp Factory Cover of the year – Good for Mike. He works very hard and is a great artist.
- Diamond Comic Distributors is launching the The Best Practices Awards and will be presented at the Diamond Retailer Summit before C2E2 – Just what the comic book industry needs – more awards.
- Marvel Senior Vice President-Sales David Gabriel
- Executive VP-Sales, Marketing and Business Development John Rood and Senior VP-Sales Bob Wayne
- Marvel Publisher, Dan Buckley
Law / Business
- Top 300 Graphic Novels Actual – January 2012 – Batman: Through The Looking Glass HC, $22.99, came in #1 with 6,424 estimated units sold.
- Bleeding Cool’s Rich Johnston answers the often asked question, “How Come DC Sell More Graphic Novels, But I Always See More Marvel?” – Excellent commentary. Must read.
- The Current Status Of The Polish Comic Books Industry – Exactly what I was thinking.
- John Mayo, CBR and Comic Book Page, Check’s in on DC’s New 52 – John’s the best in the biz.
- Lemony Snicket to Return in 4-Book Series
- Garth Ennis Writes Children’s Book With Flanimals Co-Creator, On Kickstarter
- Blake Bell’s Steve Ditko article in San Diego Comic-Con 2012 Annual
- Garfield Enters eBook Market – Yes. All will go digital
- The Man Who Laughs, an adaptation of Victor Hugo, will be published by Self Made Hero and done by David Hine And Mark Stafford – Hugo’s work was one of the inspirations for The Joker. Thanks, to Rich, Bleeding Cool.
- Mike Catron And Preston White Return To Fantagraphics
- ROBOT 6’s Shelf Porn Saturday | A collection mom forgot to throw out – Jar Jar? Really? Jar Jar?
- Grumpy Old Fan wants his trade paperbacks! – Hard not to agree with him
- Supergirl: Bizarrogirl TP (DC Comics)
- Marvel Legacy: The 1960s-1990s Handbook TP (Marvel Comics)
- Amazing Mysteries-The Bill Everett Archives Vol. 1 (Fantagraphics)
- Fantastic Four: Season One
- New York librarian Ryan Donovan’s Top 10 Batman comics storylines (collected editions)
- Friends With Boys (:01 First Second)
- Essential Fantastic Four Volume 1 (New Printing), (Marvel Comics)
- Greg Burgas, CBR, on several indie trades
…and at the end of the shelf:
Be sure to keep current with all the latest and best Comic Book Collected Edition news by subscribing to the Collected Comics Library’s RSS feed.