- Marv Levy (Marv Lev) February 21, 1925-January 13, 2012 – Golden age comic book artist (thanks to Tom, Comics Reporters for the link).
Announcements / PR
- Updated Flesk Publications Mission Statement for 2012 – Flesk does great reprints, please give them a look.
- Dungeon Zenith vols. 1 and 2 in stock and Vol. 3 in March (NBM)
- First Look: The Complete Peanuts 1983-1984 – Can’t go wrong with Peanuts.
- Naruto: The Official Character Data Book offers fans essential character info – So much of this stuff is online. It’s a wonder why it gets printed.
- Viz Media Starts 2012 Manga-stic
- Is That All There Is? by Joost Swarte (Fantagraphics) – This will collect virtually all of the alternative comics work from 1972 to date, including the RAW magazine stories.
- Two New Books on the Civil Rights Movement Debut Feb. 4 at Fantagraphics Bookstore
- The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Special Edition Preview – See image above.
- Tails: Book One by Ethan Young ready for pre-order – Sorry, never heard of it. But I will check it out.
- The Danish comics award, The Ping, is resurrected – The Ping in its original iteration was awarded between 1986 and 1996 and was given to an individual for his or her contribution to Danish comics. The new Ping is rather different — it’s a set of awards given in multiple categories, much like the Eisners in the US or the Fauves in Angoulême, France.
- Fantagraghics: 2012 Ping Prisen Nominees: Kolor Klimax, Jim Woodring, Jaime Hernandez -
- ‘Hugo,’ ‘Tintin’ Win Golden Globes (Best Director, Animated Feature) and Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern, Favorite Movie Superhero at The People’s Choice Awards – I have yet to see Hugo (or read the GN), but I did enjoy Green Lantern and I loved Tintin.
- Nominations Open for Eagle Awards 2012
- First Fictions & First Graphic Novel Prize this weekend
- 23rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards comics nominations announced
- Craig Elliott Interview Discussing “The Art of Craig Elliott”
- Commentary Track: Marz & Sablik Unearth “Artifacts” Vol. 3
Law and Business
- What Wizard’s SEC filings reveal about the company’s future
- Stumptown Comics Adds Charles Brownstein, Anina Bennett And Shawna Gore To Board Of Directors
- Dav Pilkey to Publish Two New ‘Captain Underpants’ Titles
- Odyssey – A New Graphic Novel From Dave Elliott, Garrie Gastonny… And Jim Steranko
- The Secret History of Marvel Comics: Jack Kirby and the Moonlighting Artists at Martin Goodman’s Empire, has expanded from 168 to 300 pages – This can only be good news!
- Jason Returns in February with Athos in America, with preview
- Wizards of the Coast will reprint limited premium versions of the original Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rulebooks by Gary Gygax to help support the Gygax Memorial Fund – I sold all of my original D&D books on eBay about 8 years ago to someone in Italy. I made a killing on it.
- 10 Ways to Improve Trade Collections – Some good ideas, many of which has been blogged about and even discussed here on this blog and podcast.
- Favorite Comic Trades for 2011 (Collected Editions Blog) – DC Comics trades only on this list. Some of which I forgot were published.
- Former Marvel head Avi Arad writes a manga graphic novel
- Brenda Starr, Reporter: The Collected Daily and Sunday Strips: Volume One (Hermes Press)
- Dark Crystal: Creation Myths Vol. 1 (Archaia)
- The Silence of Our Friends (:01 First Second)
- Footprints (215 Ink)
- JSA All-Stars: Glory Days trade paperback (DC Comics)
- War of the Green Lanterns hardcover/paperback (DC Comics)
- A New Jack Of All Trades by Dave Wallace
- Tarpé Mills & Miss Fury: Sensational Sundays 1944–1949 (IDW Publishing)
- Pipeline: Modern Master Garney, “Screamland” & More by Augie De Blieck Jr.
- The Adventures Of Hergé – a life in moments….. but not in depth (Drawn & Quarterly)
…and at the end of the shelf:
- Styling with your books – Simple and elegant with a touch of class. A great way to show off your books or collected editions to unsuspecting visitors.
Be sure to keep current with all the latest and best Comic Book Collected Edition news by subscribing to the Collected Comics Library’s RSS feed.