- Joseph Kubert (September 18, 1926 – August 12, 2012) was an American comic book artist and founder of The Kubert School. He is best known for his work on the DC Comics characters Sgt. Rock and Hawkman.
- Harry Harrison (March 12, 1925 – August 15, 2012) was an American science fiction author, best known for his character the Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966); the latter was the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973).
Announcements / PR
- Moonstone About To Release Full Moon: Phases of the Moon HC
- Tripwire 20th Anniversary Edition – Slated for November 2012 release, the Tripwire 20th Anniversary Edition will collect classic interviews from its vast catalog alongside new material in two 214-page, A4 deluxe formats—a hardcover provided by crowdfunding pledges through Unbound and a paperback edition available at local comic stores from Diamond Comic Distributors. The paperback will cost around $24.00. The collection will also include contemporary articles and feature stories on the transformation of the comics industry since 1992, cinematic adaptations of comics and graphic novels, digital comics, the most significant creators, the indie revolution, and many more topics. Lastly, the Anniversary Edition will also have an extensive gallery of rare and new illustrations provided by Howard Chaykin, Jon Haward, Joe Kubert, Mike Mignola, Chris Weston, Frank Quitely, and numerous others.
- 2012 Ignatz Awards Nominees
- Molly Beth Griffin Wins 2012 Milkweed Prize for Children’s Literature
- Nate DiMeo, Patricia Marx & Calvin Trillin Named Thurber Prize Finalists
Law / Business
- July 2012 Collected Edition Sale Estimates – John May and I podcast; I do my own commentary.
- Kodansha’s “Attack on Titan” Tops 9 Million in Japan
- Marvel Ends Premiere Classic Line – My thoughts.
- Brit graphic novels at the Book Fest! – Thanks to Joe at FPI for this one!
- The Dork wants a Superwoman (Kristin Wells) collection – so do I!
- UK’s oldest comic The Dandy faces closure
- Steven Thompson, Hooray For Wally Wood, gives us a A Field Guide to the IDW Artist’s Edition – I had no idea that IDW issued (or thought about issiung) so many covers.
- The Jack Of All Trades column by Dave Wallace over at Bleeding Cool
- Batman: Death By Design (DC Comics)
- X-Men: SWORD: No Time to Breathe TP (Marvel Comics)
…and at the end of the shelf:
- This can’t air fast enough: Robot Chicken DC Comics Special Trailer
Be sure to keep current with all the latest and best Comic Book Collected Edition news by subscribing to the Collected Comics Library’s RSS feed.