Here are some of the best non Comic Con 2012 posts/articles regarding comic book reprints and collected editions that I have retweeted on @ChrisCCL, Facebook, Google+, and read in RSS subscriptions this week.
I’ll be posting a full list of Comic Con announcements by Monday. But if you can’t wait until then, follow me on Twitter for all the latest Collected Editions and Digital Comics news from San Diego.
- Ernest Borgnine (born Ermes Effron Borgnino; January 24, 1917 – July 8, 2012) was an American film and television actor whose career spanned more than six decades. He was an unconventional lead in many films of the 1950s, winning an Oscar in 1955 for Marty. On television, he played Quinton McHale in the 1962–1966 series McHale’s Navy and co-starred in the mid-1980s action series Airwolf, in addition to a wide variety of other roles. Borgnine was also known for his role as Mermaid Man in the animated television series Spongebob Squarepants. Borgnine earned an Emmy Award nomination at age 92 for his work on the series ER.
Announcements / PR
- Altus Press Announces an Important New Sax Rohmer Collection - Matt does a great job with his publishing company. I must get him on my show to talk Pulps. Would you be interested?
- Mary Perkins On Stage Volume 1 (Classic Comics Press) Heading For Reprint with new and updated material. The book is scheduled for a December 2012 release along with On Stage Volume 11.
- VIZ revives MAMESHIBA in graphic novel and activity book – Hey, that’s a good idea. I can’t wait for Kirkman’s Walking Dead Activity Book.
- Preview: ‘Vampirella Archive’ Vol. 5 HC - I still don’t own Volume 1.
- Former Comico Publishers CO2 Comics Publish First Three Graphic Albums – I’d like to see old and classic Comico books get reprinted
- Trade paperback to explore Hellraiser’s Year One – I’m cool with this but I hope Boom! finishes reprinting the classic Marvel Hellraiser.
- CBC’s “Q” Jian Ghomeshi interviewed both Terry Mosher and Matt Bors regarding the state of editorial cartooning (Audio) – I actually caught this live in Sirius Radio while driving. Matt did an excellent job.
Law / Business
- Diamond’s Top 300 Graphic Novels for June 2012 - Guess what title is #1?
- Amanda Moon Takes Over Hill & Wang’s Novel Graphics Imprint
- Florida Fundamentalist Group Targets Marvel, Retailers Over “Astonishing X-Men”
- Judge Dismisses Another Stan Lee Media Lawsuit Against Namesake
- “A Curse On The Superman Movie!” – A Look Back At Jerry Siegel’s 1975 Press Release - I love old findings like these.
- Ron Marz’s Favorite Comic Runs – All of which have been collected.
- David Marquez And RJ Ryan To Create 3D Graphic Novel From Archaia
- American Newspaper Comics – An Encyclopedic Reference Guide (University of Michigan Press)
- Power Girl: Old Friends TP (DC Comics)
- The Complete Peanuts, 1983-1984 (Fantagraphics)
…and at the end of the shelf:
- Kids Read Comics at the Ann Arbor Library. I attended this small Con with my son, Patrick. We had a great time and met local artists and writers like Rob Worley and Paul Storrie, both of who I am booking for an interview on the CCL. I’ll tell you guys more about it in my next podcast. My pal, Joe, from Forbidden Planet International picked up on this video from Jerzy Drozd which, by the way, features Patrick at the :48 mark. He’s in line to get a sketch from Chris Houghton who does the covers for Adventure Time.
Be sure to keep current with all the latest and best Comic Book Collected Edition news by subscribing to the Collected Comics Library’s RSS feed.