- Don Woods (c. 1927 – June 12, 2012) was an American meteorologist and cartoonist.
- Wayne Roberts (October 20, 1950 – June 11, 2012), known as Stay High 149 was an African-American graffiti artist.
- Paul Jenkins (July 12, 1923 – June 9, 2012) was an American abstract expressionist painter.
- Jun Hatanaka, 62, Japanese comic artist and printmaker (Tokyo Polytechnic University).
Announcements / PR
- Inkwell Awards honors inkers at 2012 Heroes Con
- Frank Doyle, Steve Skeates to Receive Bill Finger Award at 2012 Eisner Awards - Doyle was the head writer for Archie Comics for over thirty years. Skeates co-created Hawk and Dove in Showcase #75 (June 1968), with writer/artist Steve Ditko. Above pic is The Poster Plague from House of Mystery #201 with art by Sergio Aragones which one The 1972 Shazam Award: Best Humor Story.
- Robb Armstrong receives honorary degree
- Zapiro Wins The 2012 IPA Freedom To Publish Prize
- Max and Moritz Winners – given out for the best works in German language comics.
- The Will Eisner Graphic Novel Prize For Libraries to Debut at ALA Anaheim
- DC’s Wayne & Cunningham on May Sales – including info on their collected edition hardcover policy.
Law / Business / Guns
- The Mayo Report: Analyzing “AvX,” “Batman” Sales For May
- Diamond’s Top 300 Graphic Novels May 2012
- ‘Avengers Guide’ Tops Bookstore GN Sales in May
- Facebook bans Larry Pickering for Aussie PM cartoon – Not for the kids. Or anyone, really.
- Swedish Supreme Court Overturns Manga-Related Conviction
- ‘The Kindness of America’ Author Shot While Hitchhiking
- French Publishers Drop Google Book Scanning Lawsuit
- Neonomicon Graphic Novel Pulled From South Carolina Library
- Laura Hudson Leaves Her Position At ComicsAlliance
- Archie CEO battle ends…but will there be a sequel
- DC Comics to publish New 52 Zero Issue Omnibus – All of us “wait for the traders” joked about an Omnibus of #2′s. The joke is now on us.
- Hero Initiative Raising Money for ‘Static’ Co-Creator’s Burial
- Archie Comics Reprints Gay Marriage Issue As A San Diego Comic Con Exclusive
- Archaia Stops Time With Third Printing of “Return of the Dapper Men” HC
- Soul Stealer Collected Edition to Debut at San Diego Comic Con
- BEA 2012: Hot, Hot, Hot! New Graphic Novels Sizzle
- Charles Forsman Joins Forces With Fantagraphics
- DC Trade Solicitations for September 2012: Zero Issues, Justice League: Eclipso, DC New 52, and more – Thoughts from CEB on upcoming DC Books. I can’t wait for the Wonder Woman: The Amazon Princess Archives that finally collect her Silver Age tales in hardcover/color format.
- Harlan Ellison to Republish His First Novel with Hard Case Crime
- Yen Press to Publish More “Twilight” Graphic Novels
- Earthling! HC by Mark Fearing (Chronicle Books)
- Green Arrow Vol. 1: The Midas Touch TP (DC Comics)
- Cancelled Comic Cavalcade (DC Comics) – 35 copies exist but you can’t get one.
- Wonder Woman Vol. 1: Blood HC/TP (DC Comics)
…and at the end of the shelf:
- Gillian James of Tessie Girl, made this awesome Stephen King flow chart to show how all the books are connected. Yes, all books can be umbrellaed under The Dark Tower, but this is a bit more fun.
Be sure to keep current with all the latest and best Comic Book Collected Edition news by subscribing to the Collected Comics Library’s RSS feed.