- Jean Henri Gaston Giraud aka Mœbius (8 May 1938–10 March 2012) – was a French comics artist, Silver Surfer: Parable, The Airthight Garage and The Incal
- Emilio Squeglio (1927-2012) – former Golden Age Captain Marvel artist
- Sid Couchey (May 24, 1919–March 11, 2012) – was an American comic book artist best known for his illustration work on the Harvey Comics characters Richie Rich, Little Lotta and Little Dot.
- Donald D. Markstein (March 21, 1947-March 14, 2012) – The sole writer and editor of Toonopedia: the world’s first hypertext encyclopedia of toons.
- Josie DeCarlo, – wife of legendary Archie cartoonist Dan DeCarlo and inspiration for his signature character Josie.
Announcements / PR
- Nelson Ribeiro aka @TradesJanitor at Marvel reminisces about Wolverine & Nick Fury: The Scorpio Connection – Personally, I can’t wait to get this book in my hands.
- Eagle Awards 2012 – Introduced in 1976, the Eagles are the comics industry’s longest established awards. Acknowledged as the pre-eminent international prizes, they have been featured on the covers of leading US and UK titles across the last 30 years. Unique in that they reflect the people’s choice, the Eagle Awards comprise of two distinct stages.
- Matt Bors wins 2012 Herblock Prize – The Herblock Prize honors editorial cartoonists “preserving the rights of the American people through freedom of speech and the right of expression.”
- Gary Panter‘s talks at the Illustrated Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit (MOCAD) (video) – Sad to say, I’ve never been there. I plan to change that this summer.
- Director’s Commentary: Ryan Kelly, Giulia Brusco and Paul Cornell welcome us to Saucer Country
- Scott Dunbier On IDW’s Artist’s Editions & Going Back To Press On Wally Wood – Thanks, Comics Reporter, Tom Spurgeon
- Director’s commentary: Dan Lockwood, Si Spurrier and Matt Timson talks us through some Lovecraftian fun
Law / Business / Corrections
- The Mayo Report: “The Walking Dead” Shambles Up the Charts – JOhn and I will be recording next week. Look for the podcast on Wednesday, March 21.
- CBLDF announces charges dropped in Canadian manga case
- Ad incorrectly states hardcover Flashpoint tie-ins
- Punisher Hardcover Delivers Less Than It Promises
- Lists of newspapers who pulled Doonesbury this week
- Trudeau posts earlier spiked abortion strips – Thanks, Daily Cartoonist, Alan Gardner
- Walt Simonson’s Alien: The Artist’s Edition from Titan – Now it’s just a matter of time when every company will do their own oversized book.
- Unboxing the Wally Wood Artist’s Edition (Video) – BTW, a 2nd Printing of this book is coming this summer (see above link and pic).
- Sergio Aragones’ Groo The Wanderer – The Artist’s Edition From IDW In June – Thanks, Bleeding Cool, Rich Johnston
- Collected Editions Blog on DC Trade Solicitations for June 2012 – Personally I like Wonder Woman: The Twelve Labors TP
- Diamond’s Top 300 Graphic Novels for February 2012 – Look for my podcast with John Mayo to come out on March 21
- Ed Piskor’s retro cover to the Wizzywig collection – Thank to The Beat
- Emanuela Lupacchino To Draw Richard Castle’s Storm Season in October
- The next Simon & Kirby book from Titan is behind schedule – I’m pretty sure that book is The Simon and Kirby Romance Stories, The Simon and Kirby Horror Tales would then finish up the series of Volume 1s.
- Invincible Iron Man: My Monsters Vol. 7 HC/TP (Marvel Comics)
- Legion of Super-Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga Deluxe Hardcover (DC Comics)
…and at the end of the shelf:
A tour of Fantagraphics Bookstore & Gallery
Be sure to keep current with all the latest and best Comic Book Collected Edition news by subscribing to the Collected Comics Library’s RSS feed.